Have you ever encountered serendipity in love? Perhaps it’s catching the gaze of someone attractive in the crowd or a small talk with a suave stranger while waiting in line. Before you manage to pluck up the courage to ask for their number, they’re gone.
It’s a good thing that Happn happened. With this convenient dating app, hopefully you won’t have to chase your Sara across cities to find her (if you’ve watched Serendipity the movie, you’d know what I mean). The best part? Happn has all the basic features you need in their free trial, so you can make the connection with people you’ve crossed paths with, without having to worry about the payment. Ready to get started?
Looking for more options? Here are the best Happn alternatives available right now:
|Ranking||Dating App||Claim Trial|
|#4||Higher Bond||Try Free|
|#5||Christian Mingle||Try Free|
Happn Free Trial Breakdown
|Trial Cost||100% free|
|Sign Up Time||Less than 5 minutes|
|Send Messages?||Yes, only with mutual interest|
|Receive Messages?||Yes, but only from premium accounts|
|Like Profiles?||Yes, but limited|
How to Start Using Happn for Free
Signing up for Happn will only take you less than 5 minutes. Just follow these simple steps:
- Sign up via happn.com or by downloading the app, which is available on both Apple and Android app stores.
- Choose how you wish to set up your account, either with your Apple, Google or Facebook account, or via your phone number.
- Once you’ve selected, you’ll be prompted to agree to their Terms of Service and accept their data privacy clauses.
- Enter your account or phone number.
- You’ll receive a code for verification. Enter the code.
- Fill in your first name.
- Fill in your date of birth.
- Select your gender.
- Select the gender you would like to cross paths with.
- Upload your photos (up to 6).
- Enter your email address, and you’re done!
- There’s an extra step for you to obtain a “Certified profile” badge through a video, but it’s skippable.
Subsequently, you’ll be prompted to different pages to update your profile by indicating the type of relationship you’re looking for, your height, exercise habits, cooking skills, ideal vacation, nightlife habits, opinion on smoking and kids, and the city you live in, but all these are optional to fill in.
Since this is an app that tracks the people you’ve encountered along the way, they do need you to turn on your location for tracking, but not to worry, you can always choose to go incognito with the invisibility mode.
Like most free trials of dating sites, you will get to create and set up your profile with your own photos and indicate your basic preferences, such as gender, age, height, partying and smoking habits, as well as inclination towards kids. Happn also added a new feature where you can get to answer your preferences via an audio recording so your potential matches will also get to hear your lovely voice. There are also other useful free features, such as:
- Establishing a crush to connect: You will be shown profiles near you by distance, and you will get to swipe to indicate your interest, although there’s a limit to the number of likes you can send out daily. Once they’ve liked you back, which in Happn, it means that a crush has been established, you’re ready to chat them up.
- Invisibility mode: It’s pretty great that Happn allows you to access the basic functions of the app in their free trial, so that you not only get to flirt with likes, you can also start a conversation with them once there’s a mutual interest. However, it can get a little creepy to have your location tracked all the time, so it’s useful that Happn has an option for you to turn off the invisibility mode, so your movements won’t be seen on the app by anyone who’s on it.
While the free trial is good enough for you to establish a connection with someone who’s also interested in you, sometimes, you may just need a little boost to increase your chances of being seen and finding someone you’re compatible with. That’s why Happn also has paid features to create more opportunities for you, which include:
- Boost profile: You can boost your profile for 24h to get maximum visibility and likes.
- Who liked you: You can find out who is interested in you, even though you haven’t gotten to them yet.
- Send flashnotes: You can send up to 10 messages per day to people you’re interested in, even without establishing a crush, with these flashnotes and they will increase your chances of being seen.
- Filter search: You can set your criteria on the kinds of profile you wish to see.
- Unlimited likes: You can send out unlimited likes daily.
- Rewind: You get to rewind to the profile you might have skipped over earlier.
- Video calls: You can video call your crush 5 times per month for a maximum of one hour each time.
Lastly, with a premium account, you can also browse freely without being interrupted by advertisements on the app.
The way Happn displays the profile of potential matches for you to swipe for interest automatically reminds me of Tinder. Besides, both apps appear to cater more for casual relationships, with the little information required for the profile to understand each of them on a deeper level. However, Happn’s unique selling point is its location matching feature, which makes matches a little more real than what Tinder has to offer.
That being said, Happn’s likes are limited in the free trial, whereas Tinder doesn’t have a limit to the swiping. Also, Happn’s reach may not be as wide as Tinder’s, hence the selections can be limited if there are less Happn users in your area.
Happn is actually pretty fun to be on, as you get to match with people you’ve actually seen in real life, which makes the experience that much more authentic. Also, it seems like Happn does want you to make the contact and possibly establish a relationship with someone you’ve just met even with the free trial, because you can still get to chat with them as long as there’s a mutual interest. Taking less than 5 minutes to sign up for a possibility of turning a chance encounter into a meaningful relationship? Of course it’s worth it!